top of page


Great interest was shown by a large attendance of supporters at the annual meeting of the Griffith Australian Rules Football Club, held on Thursday (March 25 at Lyceum Theatre) evening last. This particular class of football is rapidly becoming highly popular, though, no doubt, the large number of Victorians residing in Griffith and surrounding districts. The tone of the meeting gives one the idea that the coming season is going to eclipse all previous ones.
In the absence of the secretary, the president read the report and balance sheet for the season 1925, which was adopted.
The business of electing officers for 1926 then took place and resulted as follows. President, Mr. W.T.  Davis; vice-presidents, Messrs. J. H. Gamble and F. James and H. Dempsey; patrons, Dr. A. Watkins and Messrs. J. French and J. White; secretary, Mr. J. G. Casserly; treasurer, Mr. W. Boots; management committee, Messrs. Jones, Dempsey, O'Neill, Wood and Booth; selection committee, Messrs. Davis, James and Wood.
The meeting decided to use the same colours, black and gold, as were used last season. An entertainment committee was also formed and it was decided to hold a fortnightly dance throughout the season, in the Memorial Hall. A working bee will be held on the ground on Sunday next, when supporters and football lovers are cordially invited to give their club help in preparing the ground for the coming season.          (By P.J. Slattery 'The Area News' - March 30, 1926)

MIAFL Round 1 - Sunday May 9, 1926 at Griffith
Griffith .......... 17.14 (116)
Fivebough ..... 1.2 (8)
Notes: Frank Polkinghorne was again elected captain with the The redoubtable 'Pouncer' Wade, now 37 years old, returns to the club from the defuct Wilga team along with his brother-in-law Jack Daines and Jack Haines, a promising young boxer whom 'Pouncer' had taken under his wing. The M.I.A Football League season commenced with Griffith at home beating Fivebough 116 to 8, Enterprize 3.3 lost to Darlington Point 5.8, Yanco 9.7 (1925 premiers) def. Wamoon 7.0. Cow Shed Hill and Whitton received byes.

MIAFL Round 2 - Sunday May 16, 1926 at Darlington Point Oval
Darlington Point ... 6.8 (44)
Griffith .................. 6.12 (48)

MIAFL Round 3 - Sunday May 23, 1926 at Griffith
Griffith ............ 16.13 (109)
Cowshed Hill .. 2.3 (15)

MIAFL Round 4 - Sunday May 30, 1926 at Yanco
Yanco ...... 7.7 (49)
Griffith .... 5.9 (39)

MIAFL Round 5 - Sunday June 6, 1926 at Griffith
Griffith ...... 7.14 (56)
Whitton ..... 1.2 (8)
MIAFL Round 6 - Sunday June 13, 1926 at Stanbridge
Enterprize ..... 5.0 (30)
Griffith ......... 7.13 (55)

MIAFL Round 7 - Sunday June 20, 1926 at Griffith
Griffith ...... 13.16 (94)
Wamoon .... 5.1 (31)

MIAFL Round 8 - Sunday June 27, 1926 at 
Fivebough ...... 2.8 (20)
Griffith .......... 4.7 (31)

MIAFL Round 9 - Sunday July 4, 1926 at Griffith
Griffith .................. 4.18 (42)
Darlington Point ... 5.6 (36)
Match reports: The local Australian Rules competition played under the M.I.A. League, decided four games on Sunday last under a sunny sky. The match at Griffith was most interesting. The game on the Stanbridge ground finished in a desultory manner on account of the unfortunate that happened nearby. The games resulted as follows. Cowshed Hill 34 defeated Wamoon 25, Griffith 42 beat Darlington Point 36, Yanco 49 were victors over Enterprize 46 and Whitton easily defeated Fivebough by 45 points. 

The Darlington Point footballers journeyed to Griffith on Sunday to try concIusions with the local club in the second round of the M.I.A. competition matches, and after a keenly contested and strenuous game were beaten by the narrow margin of five points, Much interest was taken in the match as on the occasion of the last meeting of these teams the issue was in doubt till the last moment Griffith eventually winning by three points, and this time the 'Point' having a fairly representative team it was considered locally that they would be likely to come out triumphant. This, however, was not to be as although they had a fairly good lead at three quarter time, they failed in the last quarter. Mr. Fred Eardley, the central umpire, carried out his duties in an efficient manner. The goal umpires were Messrs. R. Campbell and T. Kelly.
In line first quarter Darlington Point fail to score even a minor point, the board showing at the end of that quarter: Griffith 2 goals, 6 behinds; Darlington Point, nil. In the second quarter, however, the 'Point' livened up and at times fairly ran over then opponents, scoring 3 goals 3 behinds to Griffith 3 behinds. Although only minor points were scored in the third quarter, Griffith had decidedly the best of it scoring 6 behinds to the 'Point's' 2 behinds. The game at that time being Griffith 2 goals 15 behinds, Darlington Point 3 goals 5 behinds. In the last quarter a great struggle for supremacy took place both sides playing most determinedly but Griffith predominated scoring 2 goals 3 behinds to Darlington Point's 2 goals 1 behind. The final scores being Griffith 4 goals 18 behinds, Darlington Point 5 goals 6 behinds.
The goal kickers for Griffith were G. Longmore (2), Manning and J. Longmore; and for Darlington Point Wardle (2), McGroder, Finley and McPhillips.
For Grifffith the players to show most promence were Manning, Connell, Polkinghorne (capt.), Foy, Stevenson, Longmore, Owen and Wade; and for the 'Point' McPhillips, Hinchley, Coombes (capt.) Keeble, Enion, Wardle, Finley and Tucker.
After the game the Darlington Point players and visitors were entertained with afternoon tea.
(Area News -Thursday July 8, 1926)

MIAFL Round 10 - Sunday July 11, 1926 at Nursery Paddock
Cowshed Hill ... 5.5 (35)
Griffith ............ 15.7 (97)
Umpire: J Lodding
Match reports: Slippery and boggy roads were again the rule on Sunday last as a result of the rain that fell in the early hours during the thunder and lightning storms, on Sunday morning. Nevertheless, the motor buses from Griffith, Whitton, Wamoon and Stanbridge, ploughed their ways through the mud and all the games were played.
At Yanco a large crowd witnessed an exciting game, which resulted in Whitton downing last year's premiers and giving Yanco their first defeat of this season, with the exception of the match Yanco forfeited to Darlington Point on the principle of a resolution carried by the club. The final scores were Whitton 55, Yanco 52.
The Fivebough team is showing steady improvement and gave Enterprize a good game at Fivebough. The final score was Enterprize 42, Fivebough 30 points. That Wamoon (black and white), after putting up such a trying trip to the Point, did remarkably well to score as they did against their opponents. The scores being Darlington Point 45, Wamoon 31.
Griffith, though only playing with seventeen men, outplayed Cowshed  Hill team on the Nursery Paddock, Leeton. The 'black and golds' have superior knowledge of the game and tricked the home side many a time. However, the 'red and whites (vertical stripes)' are making good progress and with more coaching and players waking up to the 'tricks of the game' they will be a team that will be hard to defeat. Cowshed Hill displayed plenty of energy and dash and relished in hard work. Though the scores appear very much one-sided there were patches of play in which Cowshed shone out and it was only the accurate kicking of Griffith that made the score reach a high tally. On account of the late arrival of Griffith team it was 4 o'clock before the game commenced. The players were entertained to tea and cake at the conclusion of the match. 

MIAFL Round 11 - Sunday July 18, 1926 at Griffith
Griffith .... 9.15 (69)
Yanco ...... 4.6 (30)
Match reports: On Sunday last some interesting matches in the M.I.A. League's competition, were decided under favourable weather conditions and with the roads fairly good for the travellers. Whitton by revering the tables against the Point kept up their series of wins, and Wamoon won their first game of the season.
Over 80 supporters journeyed to Griffith to witness what was expected to be a tussle but the home team had a comparative easy task in defeating Yanco. 
MIAFL Round 12 - Sunday July 25, 1926 at Whitton Recreation Ground
Whitton .... 7.7 (49)
Griffith ..... 2.11 (23)

Rough and slippery roads did not deter the enthusiastic officials and delegates of the M.I.A. League (Australian Rules) competition from attending the league meeting, held at Myer's Hotel, Whitton, on Friday night last (July 23), and they only had twenty minutes to go before it would have been Saturday when they left. Prior to the league meeting the judiciary committee dealt with several matters and the findings were reported at the meeting. 
Mr. P. Neil (president) occupied the chair at the league meeting and along with him sat Mr. W. Jacka, hon. secretary, and Mr. Lewis, hon. treasurer. The delegates who answered the roll call were: Messrs. A. McGrath and A. Meline, Whitton; W Hennessy and D. Davis, Yanco; W. Breen and N.Trait, Cowshed Hill; G. Williams and E. Robb, Fivebough; Finley and De Mamiel, Darlington Point; A. W. Lowrie and S. Crozier, Wamoon. Mr Rice acted as delegate for Enterprise. Griffith were without representation.
If it had of been the 30th of the month, instead of the 23rd, Griffith, would have been disqualified from the competition, or at least had all four wins wiped off according to the president's interpretation of Rule 73, which is worded as follows:- 
73.— Any club represented on the league NEGLECTING or refusing TO FORWARD ALL MONEY DUE to the league, neglecting to pay its declared share of the loss that may arise, or call that may be made with in one month, after due notice has been given by the secretary, shall cease to  be connected with the league, and shall be disqualified from any  future representation thereon, but may be re-admitted at any time thereafter by payment of dues, losses and annual fee. 
The secretary reported that every club was financial with the exception of Griffith, which club owed £9. 
On the table before the president was a telegram from Mr. Jones, of Griffith, which was worded: "Wiring nine pounds for Griffith Club."
Delegates were not sure whether the money had been wired or not and the following resolution was moved: "That the matter be held over until the next meeting, because there were still three days to go.''
 During the discussion it was pointed out very strongly that the league could not go on unless the clubs kept up their financial obligations. It seemed considerably unfair that the young clubs, who were bottom on the competition ladder and had a big struggle to keep going, should be financial and the leading team behind so much with their cash.
Mr. Breen put the position in nut shell when he told the meeting that  the Cowshed Hill Club was hemmed in on all sides and had a job to get a team and raise finances but they did it by running dances, etc and on one occasion some of the players put their hands in their pockets. It was hard to think they were doing this, and then be knocked about at the weekend by the big Griffith team, which was not financial. 
Mr. Williams said they were only making a bad precedent for next year if they did not act firmly in this matter of finances. 
At this juncture, it was made known to the meeting that the money was in the post office, and only needed tho presentation of the wire to collect the £9. 
The motion was withdrawn and  feeling of relief came over the meeting. 
Not so much notice is to be given clubs in future. On the resolution of Messrs. Breen and Davis it was decided to alter rule No. 73 by substituting 7 days notice instead of one mouth.
(Murrumbidgee Irrigator - Tuesday July 27, 1926).

MIAFL Round 13 - Sunday August 1, 1926 at Griffith
Griffith ......... 4.15 (39)
Enterprize .... 5.11 (41)

MIAFL Round 14 - Sunday August 8, 1926 at Wamoon
Wamoon ..... 5.2 (32)
Griffith ......... 2.12 (24)
Match reports: The M.I.A. League's competition was brought to an end as the home and away matches were concerned. Whitton and Griffith were defeated. Yanco came to the top and win the minor premiership for 1926. The results were as follows:- Wamoon 32 beat Griffith 24, Enterprize beat Whitton 39 to 33, Yanco beat Cowshed 84 to 14 and Fivebough forfeited to Darlington Point, at being unable to travel on the bad roads. 

MIAFL First Semi Final - Sunday August 22, 1926 at Whitton Recreation Ground
Griffith .............. 0.2 .. 2.4 .. 3.4 .. 6.9 (45)
Enterprize ....... 1.3 .. 3.6 .. 5.9 .. 5.11 (41)
Goals - Griffith: H Manning 2, C Stevenson 2, J Fox, J Owen
Enterprize: n/a
Umpire: Warburton (Sydney)
Griffith: F. Polkinghorne (capt), W. O'Neill, J. Connell, J.  Longmore, C. & R. Stevenson, J. & W. Owen, D., F. & H. Manning,  W. James, J. Fox, O. Kohn, J. Daines, W. Wade, A. Scott, J. Wood  
Enterprize: D. Finley (capt), W. Causen, R. Coombs, N. Emerson, W. Johnson, S. & W. Blight, J. Whitaker, A. Farrant, G. & J. Thompson, J. Relihan, G. Robe, C. & S. Jones, J. Blight, S. Lansfear, J. Bellam.
Match report: It is only on rare occasions that a semi-final producers such an interesting game of football as that provided on Sunday last, when Griffith and Enterprise met in the first semi-final of the M.I. A. Local Australian Rules Competition. Not only did it illustrate that the grade of football in this competition has advanced considerably, this match by reason of the big attendance showed that the local competition has a big following. From all points of the compass motor cars, buses, sulkies, bicycles, etc. made their way over atrocious rough roads to Whitton football ground. The only pleasantness derived from the journey was the warm sunshine and spring weather. But after the match everyone declared the journey was well worthwhile.
The referee, Mr. Warburton, of Sydney, gave every satisfaction. His rulings were impartial and 'staging' of 'free kicks' carried no weight with him. He was not hasty in blowing the whistle for holding the ball or on, the other hand holding the man. It appeared that the breach had to be very deliberate before the central umpire gave a free. Though these decisions were different to what we are accustomed to Mr. Warburton kept control of the players and for the most part the play was open. The only ones to lose control of themselves were the onlooker, who disobeyed the stewards' commands to keep behind the boundary lines. Many times during exciting movements the onlookers swarmed on to the playing area and the game had to be held up while the central umpire persuaded the people to get back in their place.
In the first quarter Enterprise scored 1 goal 3 behinds, while Griffith scored 2 behinds. The second term was more even. Enterprise scored 2 goals 3 behinds and Griffith 2 goals 2 behinds. In the third term Enterprise increased their lead by adding 2 goals 3 behinds to 1 goal. Enterprise were the first to score in the final term scoring 2 single giving them a lead of 2 goals 7 behinds — 19 points. The onlookers had given the first three quarter honors to Enterprise, but a dash by Griffith raised the two flags and Enterprise appeared to tire all of a sudden and the black and golds played all over them, scoring 3 goals 5 behinds to their opponents, 2 behinds.

Friendly - Sunday August 29, 1926 at Griffith
Griffith 44 defeated Binya 37

MIAFL Second Semi Final - Sunday August 29, 1926 at Nursery Paddock, Leeton
Yanco ....... 0.1 .. 2.2 .. 4.4 .. 5.5 (35)
Whitton ..... 2.4 .. 4.4 .. 4.4 .. 6.5 (41)
Goals: Yanco: F Cartwright 2, A Currey, P Clayton, G Neil
Whitton: K Ray 3, C Taylor, E Elliott, C Lodding
Umpire: Holden (Sydney)
Yanco: R. Stall (capt), A. Currey (v-c), H. Currey, M. Miller, G. Neil, C. McCann, E. Jones, J. Quinton, G. & A. Taylor, P. Clayton, T. McCormack, R. Thompson, B. Thompson, C. Stall, R. Monfries, F. Cartwright, C. Taylor
Whitton: A. McGrath (capt), K. Ray (v-c), G. DeMamiel, L. Polkinghorne, G. Davidson, C. & N. Taylor, A. Hill, F. McGrath,
D. & W. McAliece, C. Lodding, J. Thompson, G. Robertson, Willard DeMamiel, O. DeMamiel, E. Elliott, Walter DeMamiel
Match report: The second semi-final of  the M.I.A. competition was decided on Sunday last, on the Leeton Football Oval, before an attendance, of between 600 and 700 people. As the final scores indicate, the teams were evenly matched and the game was kept closed, there  being very little open and spectacular play. Yanco lost the game through keeping too many men on the ball and playing one another for  the ball instead of players shepherding their opponents off the ball and allowing one to play the ball.  Yanco also gave away a number of free kicks, mostly for tripping. These trips may have been accidental and no doubt caused  through crowding  on the ball, still an accidental trip earns a free kick. Yanco players were superior individually, but the Whitton men kept their places and when ever the opportunity came they had a clear run through, which gave them the advantage. The weather was fine and the ground dry and hard. Yanco being the minor premiers, yet have another chance to win the 1926 competition having to challenge the winner of the final.

MIAFL Competition Final - Sunday September 5, 1926 at Nursery Paddock, Leeton
Griffith ........ 1.0 .. 3.1 .. 6.3 .. 8.8 (56)
Whitton ...... 1.1 .. 1.3 .. 2.5 .. 4.9 (33)
Umpire: T. King (Sydney)
Griffith: F. Polkinghorne (capt), W. O'Neill, J. Connell, J. & G. Longmore, C. & R. Stevenson, J. & W. Owen, D., F. & H. Manning, J. Haines, W. James, J. Fox, O. Kohn, J. Daines, W. Wade   
Whitton: A. McGrath (capt), K. Ray (v-c), G. DeMamiel, L. Polkinghorne, G. Davidson, C. & N. Taylor, W. Warburton,
 A. Hill, F. McGrath, D. & W. McAliece, C. Lodding, J. Thompson, G. Robertson, Willard DeMamiel, O. DeMamiel, E. Elliott
Match report: It was half past 3 o'clock when the timekeepers, Messrs E. J. Polkinghorne and C. Pike rang the gong that signalled the start of the game before a very large attendance. Whitton attacked early in the game and A. Hill with a high punt made the first score, a point for Whitton. The next score was a goal also for Whitton, scored by G. Robertson. Griffith got moving, but their advance was checked by a number of free kicks given to Whitton. By a smart piece of play Jack Haines secured and opened the scores for Griffith by a goal. For the most part the play was scrambly and the players had a job to know what to do, as the umpire allowed many breaches to go by without using the whistle. The first quarter ended with the scores: Whitton 1 goal 1 behind — 7 points; Griffith 1 goal — 6 points.
 It was apparent when tho second term had been going a little while that the umpire had lost control of the game, which was getting more like a rough and tumble. Griffith were not getting a fair share of the whistle and both players and onlookers expressed their disapproval of the umpire. Whitton scored a single and a free kick had been awarded to a Whitton player in front of Griffith sticks when a sensational happening almost brought the game to an end. 
Jack Connell, a Griffith player, rushed down from the centre of the field and punched the central umpire, knocking him down. No doubt the prompt action of Sergeant Thomson in placing Connell under arrest saved a melee, the spectators having rushed the ground in an angry mood. Some deploring the assault, others saying the referee deserved what he got. It was a sad incident, one that has rarely, if at any time been witnessed on a football ground before and warranted drastic action on the part of those controlling the game, if  they wished to keep the support of the public. After the assault a number of spectators left the ground in disgust. The players too, resumed the game in an indifferent manner, especially when it was seen that the umpire was weak towards Griffith, giving free-kicks when appeal for. The game re-started with the Whiitton player having his free kick in front of the goals, but the ball went out of bounds amidst the derisive cheers of the onlookers. Whitton scored a single before Griffith got the upper hand and following a single, George Longmore added a goal for Griffith with a grubber. Griffith retained possession of the ball by a series of short kicks and marks: but they played too much to the centre and the good play was resuitless. McAliece got  the ball away from Whitton's sticks. The next scores was for Griffith.  Jack Owen sent to Jack Haines, to Frank Manning who punted almost through the goal mouth, the needed touch was given by H. Manning, who punched the ball and a goal resulted. 
In the third quarter a heavy shower of rain foil and the ground became very slippery and only play of a desultory nature followed. At the end of the third quarter the scores were: 
In the final term tho scoring was more even, Griffith, who had played one man short after Connell was arrested, had two other players limping badly and in the fourth quarter Charlie Stevenson was carried off with a cramp in the leg.
The final scores were Griffith 8 goals 8 behinds — 56 points; Whitton 4 goal 9 behinds — 33 points.
On Sunday night a meeting of the League was held in the Soldier Club Hall, Leeton. All clubs were represented except Darlington Point.
It was resolved to play the Grand Final — Yanco v Griffith at Griffith on Sunday next. Mr, Gleeson's offered to allow the Australian Rules match to be played on the fenced-in ground of the Rugby League at Griffith was gratefully accepted.
The judiciary committee stood Jack Connell down for 12 months.
Note: At the Leeton Court of Petty Sessions on Monday Sept 6, Jack Connell a member of the Griffith (Australian Rules) Football Club, was fined five pounds for assaulting the referee Mr King, during the progress of the Griffith-Whitton match on Sunday, the final of the district competition. 
(Murrumbidgee Irrigator - Tuesday September 7, 1926).

MIAFL Challenge Final - Sunday September 12, 1926 at Rugby Oval, Griffith
Griffith .... 2.3 .. 3.4 .. 10.7 .. 12.10 (82)
Yanco ...... 1.2 .. 5.4 .. 8.4 .. 10.7 (67)
Goals - Griffith: J Haines 8, L Anderson 2, H Manning 2
Yanco: C Taylor 2, J Quinton, H Currey, G Taylor, R Stall, G Neil
Best: Griffith: J Haines, J Owen, Stevenson Bros., F Polkinghorne, O Kohn, Manning Bros., W Wade, L Anderson
Yanco: R Stall, H Currey, Taylor Bros., B Thompson
Umpire: Adams (Narrandera)
Match report: The M.I. A. Competition was brought to a close on Sunday last when Yanco, as minor premiers, challenged Griffith, winners of the final, in a .grand final match. Being a good open clean game, this match did much to holster up the Australian Rules code on the Mirrool end of the settlement, where Rugby League is looked on as the winter sport. The gate amounted to £30, which is higher than that obtained at Leeton for the final. Tho teams were fairly evenly matched, but again Griffith came with their dash. The game was an exciting one as the scores indicate.

Griffith Wins Grand Final

Griffith won the grand final match of the M.I.A Football League competition on Sunday by defeating Yanco, the minor premiers.
The match was played on the Griffith Rugby Oval and attracted a large concourse of spectators, the majority of whom knew only little of the principals under which the game is played. Nevertheless, they were surprised at the nature of the game and next year the local team should have a much larger following that hitherto.
Yanco led at half time and their exhibition up to the interval was highly pleasing to their supporters, and Griffithites were inclined to be pessimistic regarding the home team's chance. Only those who had followed them throughout the year were confident they would "come with a rattling finish". At half time the scores were Yanco, 5 goals 4 behinds - 34 points; Griffith, 3 goals 4 behinds - 22 points. For the rest of the game Griffith lived up to their reputation of being strong finishers and added 9 goals 6 behinds to the visitors 5 goals 3 behinds.
With the exception of Jack Haines, who travelled over 50 miles to play for Griffith, it is exceptionally hard to discriminate in the selection of tho best performers. Haines was the hero of the match, and it was mainly through his brilliant and consistent play that Griffith were able to secure the laurels of the day.
The teams:-      
Griffith: F. Polkinghorne (capt), W. O'Neill, J. Longmore, G. Longmore, R. Stevenson, C. Stevenson, W. Owen, J. Owen, F. Manning, H. Manning, W. Wade, J. Haines, J. Fox, O. Kohn, J. Daines, E. Davy, J. Wood and L. Anderson 
Yanco: R. Stall (capt), A. Currey, H. Currey, M. Miller, G. Neil, C. McCann, E. Jones, J. Quinton, G. Taylor, A. Taylor, P. Clayton, T. McCormack, R. Thompson, B. Thompson, C. Stall, R. Monfries, C. Taylor, C. Dodds.
Griffith were unable to play D. Manning, W. James and A. Scott who were on the sick list, whilst Yanco were without the services of F. Cartwright.
Mr. E. Adams of Narrandera, controlled the game in a highly efficient manner and was congratulated after the match for his capable and impartial control.
Griffith had the advantage of a fairly strong wind in the first quarter, kicking to the eastern goal. Scrambly play marked the commencement of the term, Pouncer Wade was prominent in forcing attacks for Griffith but a free kick to Yanco transferred play to the centre where Longmore and Polkinghorne put in good work. The former marked well but his kick resulted in Yanco organising an attack, and by a series of passes were quickly in scoring distance. Their attempt to score resulted in an out of bounds. J. Owen secured the ball and passed to the forwards. Yanco secured and with the first systematic play of the match returned the leather to their forwards where A. Taylor marked in front. He made the first score of the match, a point. The kick out was marked by Jones who returned, only for R. Stevenson to mark and relieve the situation. Polkinghorne did serviceable work in the centre and from his efforts Haines secured. With a long kick he scored a goal. Yanco broke away from the bounce. H Currey marking and passing to Dodds, whose effort was repelled by the Griffith backs. A goal kick by Quinton resulted in Stall marking, and scoring a minor.
Yanco were playing to better advantage then Griffith, although unable to score. Their play was more systematic, and picking out their men was particularly noticeable. Griffith players allowed their opponents to be in front of them too often which led to Yanco organising  attacks that should have been the reverse.
A nice piece of cohesive play in the centre by Yanco, ended in a point being snapped. Griffith immediately took the ball to their opponents end. Wade was responsible for a great kick but the ball was stopped in front of goals. Anderson notched a single from a angle shot. J. Longmore added another and Anderson repeated his score. J. Owen, the nippiest player in Griffith team proved a source of annoyance to the minor premiers and was always in the picture with his effective dashes. R. Stevenson and Kohn were playing a reliable game on the back line and repeatedly frustrated attacks. C. Taylor secured a mark in front and two flags waved. Polkinghorne gathered the ball from the ruck, sent it across to the wing where Haines secured and kicked a goal. 
Griffith 2 goals, 3 behinds - 15 points; Yanco 1 goal 2 behinds - 8 points.
The wind was stronger in the second quarter and Yanco took full advantage of it. Play continued to be congested with Griffith backs kept continually busy. Yanco registered the first score of the term with a "sixer". B. Thompson defended well, a series of passes started by him was intercepted by Polkinghorne but Yanco pressed hard and a goal resulted, H. Currey being responsible. Frees were numerous and in consequence the game was not fast.
Infringements by Griffith placed Yanco in a scoring position and another free kick enabled G. Taylor to score full points. From the ball-up Yanco attacked, Stall marked from a crush and another major was registered. A point followed.
Yanco continued to handle the ball better, and their well-directed kicks proved effective in making openings for the forwards.
Fox was responsible for good play on the wing but Miller secured the ball and play was transferred to the centre, Griffith forwarded on to Haines, who secured but dropped the ball. Players near the ball apparently thought the whistle had been blown and ceased  play. Anderson, however, coolly picked the ball up and kicked it through the big posts. Towards the end of the term Griffith livened up and began to handle the leather more effectively. Anderson passed to to Polkinghorne, who passed a crush successfully, giving Haines the opportunity to score. He snapped a point just before the bell sounded.
Yanco, 5 goals 4 behinds - 34 points; Griffith, 3 goals 3 behinds - 21 points.
With a deficit  of two goals, Griffith started determinedly in the third term. Haines, whose consistent  play was responsible for Griffith securing a substantial lead, secured first. With a long kick the ball travelled towards the goals. H. Manning missed the mark but made amends by kicking the ball along the ground through the goals. Kohn continued to play a sure game and frustrated several forward moves by Yanco. H. Manning had a shot but the ball fell short and quickly a point was registered. Yanco pressed hard for several minutes and managed to turn defence into attack. G. Neil secured  the ball and smartly kicked a goal.
Haines shone out as a superior mark, rising head and shoulders above the pack. Good play on the part of Polkinghorne and Manning, gave Haines another opportunity and he again goaled. He made opportunities instead of waiting for them, and his spectacular display of marking, together with his sound judgement gained him the applause of spectators. Indeed, he was hailed the local champion. R. Stevenson gained possession from the scrum and forwarded. Haines again secured and kicked another goal. Griffith had livened up as a result of the quick scoring which at this stage had made scores equal. They began to exert all efforts to gain the ascendancy and play became fast and strenuous. Griffith supporters placed their confidence in the team and realised that their reputation for "dazzling finishes" was to be maintained. Griffith attacked from the bounce but when in a favourable position an infringement gave Yanco an opportunity which was not missed. Play ensued near Yanco's goal and a free kick to C. Taylor resulted in a goal. Congested play followed near Yanco's goal but the chance was checked by Stevenson. Yanco persevered in their efforts to score and a fine rush on their part enabled Taylor to snap another goal. Yanco were leading by two goals. J. Owen put in clever work in securing the ball from the ruck and sent it well down. Haines secured and snapped a point. He attacked the kick out and landed another sixer. Davy cleverly evaded an opponent which resulted in Haines passing to Manning. A out of bounds followed. After congested play near the boundary a point was scored. Yanco defenders strove hard to reverse the position but Griffith had risen to the occasion and played as one man. A clever piece of play by Haines, who decisively beat his opponents in manoeuvres for positions, ended in him scoring his sixth goal. Stevenson Brothers intercepted passes from Yanco and once more Griffith were hammering at the goal. Stevenson with a spectacular dash towards the goal sent the leather to the goal mouth where the indefatigable Haines marked and added another major to his credit. After the bounce Kohn marked well and passed to Haines. Although on an angle he repeated his performance, the ball going through as the bell sounded.
Griffith, 10 goals 7 behinds - 67 points; Yanco, 8 goals 4 behinds - 52 points
Fortunately for Griffith the strong wind that had prevailed throughout the afternoon dropped early in the deciding term. Yanco changed their half back line, Stall, the biggest player on the field playing half back.
 Play ensued in Griffith's territory tor several minutes, until Taylor relieved the situation with a long kick down the centre. H. Curry opened the score with a goal. Haines was kept under strict surveillance after his dazzling exhibition the previous quarter. A long kick by E. Jones placed the visitors in a scoring position but they could only manage a minor. Free kicks were numerous at this stage of the game and had the scores been closer the result would have been different. Yanco in quick time scored a point and a goal. From this time out the game became hard and willing, with weight being used freely. The ball travelled up and down for some time and attacks were repelled by Currey and Thompson. The ball went out and with the kick-in Stall scored a single, making scores equal. With fifteen minutes to play the result was still in doubt although Griffith finishing powers stood them in good stead. Yanco benefited by frees in the centre just when the situation was dangerous but they created no openings. Polkinghorne in the centre, was consistent in frustrating advances. A shot by Manning gave Griffith the lead  of one point. Yanco pressed and passed the centre line. What may have been a serious position was relieved by W. Owen. 
Local supporters gave vent to their enthusiasm vocally, a great crowd congregating near the goal urging the team to further efforts. 
Play was sparking with quick dashes and flashes of fast and clever play. The standard displayed during the closing of the term was to keeping with a grand final. Up and down the ball travelled, with free kicks conspicuous by their absence. Consequently there was never a dull moment.
Kohn and Wade stemmed one advance, the latter forwarding to Manning who marked in front. Prolonged applause greeted the recipient of the ball. Five minutes to go and the prospect of another goal was too much for Griffithites, and when the two flags waved tremendous cheers followed. Yanco received a free and played along the wing. Davy got the ball and sent it to the forwards. The return was cleverly marked by J. Owen but his kick sent the ball out. He secured the leather again and cleverly dodged his opponent to make an opening. His shot hit the post. C. Stevenson was responsible for the leather being returned to the forwards. Anderson marked and kicked Griffith twelfth and last goal. Only three minutes were left in which Yanco could annex the cup but Griffith were in their element and were attacking when the bell rang.
Final Scores:-
 Griffith, 12 goals 10 behinds - 82 points; 
Yanco, 10 goals 7 behinds - 67 points.
Jack Haines was the best player on the ground. In every department  of the game he showed out to advantage. He was merited being carried off the field. 

To single out any of the other players would be a difficult task. Every Griffith player did serviceable work towards winning of the cup. Perhaps, J. Owen, Stevenson Bros., Polkinghorne, Kohn, Manning Bros., Wade and Anderson who walked 9 miles to play in the match could be mentioned as outstanding. 
Yanco were best served by Stall, Currey, Taylor Bros., and Thompson. 
R. Stall, Yanco's captain, had little to say after the match. He just remarked it was a nice friendly game.
(Murrumbidgee Irrigator - Friday September 17, 1926).

Griffith football club, winners of the M.I. A. football competition for 1926, received their premiership cup on Thursday night, November 18, at a smoke social at Mirrool House.
 The function was attended by Mr. Poulsen, vice-president of the League and president of the Enterprise Club, Mr. Jacka, secretary League, Mr. W. Luhrs, treasurer of the League and secretary of the Whitton club, and Mr. Hennessy, secretary Yanco Club. Griffith representatives were conspicuous by their absence. The absentees were the president, Mr. W.T. Davis, who was ill, the vice-presidents, captain and vice-captain.
Mr. J. G. Casserly, secretary of the Griffith club acted as chairman, and seated with him were the visiting representatives.
Mr. Poulsen referred to the unavoidable absence of president, Mr. Neil. He impressed upon the gathering necessity for keeping the club together, and organising for next year. By doing that they might have their colours again pinned on the cup. However, their were teams that would try and outdo them next year, and the competition should be very keen. The cup was of little value to individuals, but when it came to the battle for it, no end of excitement,  and perhaps ill-feeling was caused. It was a matter of sorrow and joy, but that was experienced through life. Taking the play throughout the season, continued Mr. Poulsen, and especially the last match, Griffith rightly deserved the cup. They were greatly handicapped by long travelling, and they could be proud of themselves for winning the beautiful trophy. Mr.  Poulsen  expected there would be much more jealousy next year.
 Mr. Jack Haines was handed the cup by Mr. Poulsen, who conveyed the congratulations of the league to the winners for the great efforts they put forward. The prestige of it was to retain the cup in the town, which would be mere credit still after winning it. He hoped Griffith would lay on in the same sportsmanlike manner next year and if they lost, it was his hope a greater effort would be made the following year.
Mr. J. Haines accepted the cup amid loud cheers.
 Mr. Hennessey toasted "Griffith club." He referred to the undoubted friendship that existed between Yanco and Griffith clubs. When Yanco played Griffith in the grand final they took their beating as sportsmen because Griffith was the better team. Three teams had hold the cup, Wilga, Yanco and Griffith. If Griffith won it next year interest in the competition would probably be lost. He hoped the team would keep together, and he would not like to see them enter the Binya competition. There were chances that the competition next year would be bigger and consequently more interesting.
Mr. Jack Wood replied on behalf of the local club, stilting that he was pleased with the way the club had kept together and battled under adverse circumstances. He referred to Fivebough and other clubs as being great sportsmen. Griffith team kept together like trojans  and if they could do the same next year a new cup would be requested for 1928.
'Associated clubs' was toasted at the instance of Mr. C. Forscutt. 
Mr. Jacka responded. All clubs were very much pleased to see Griffith win, he stated, and nobody throughout the length and breath of the district begrudged them their win.
Mr. Hennessy enriched the remarks and intimated that he would like to see move clubs in the league. The formation of the league was related. Yanco had been affiliated for three years and had played in each grand final, but were only successful once. However, they made their opponents go, and win on their merits. When the clubs form next year he urged them to  try and make it a strong point to have delegates attend meetings, as  full representation helped each club and the league. Since Yanco had been affiliated he had never missed a meeting.
 Mr. Poulsen stated that early in the season they started to form the Stanbridge club, but three of their  players left to play with Leeton. It was felt it was impossible to form a club and say they could win a match. No matter how enthusiastic supporters were if a team could not win one game they lost, heart, therefore they decided to amalgamate with Wilga. Griffith were also fortunate in getting good players through Wilga not forming. However, he was looking forward to the time when Stanbridge would have a club of their own. 
Mr. Poulsen stressed the detrimental effect gambling was having on the game. If followers who made a gamble on the game were kept out unpleasantness would he lessened and the sport would be worth while. A thing players and the executive should look forward to was to minimise the evil and thereby they would enjoy the host of sport for years to come. With gambling, supporters got the money, and the players the knock out.
Other toasts honoured were "the visitors" and "the King".
The convivial evening ended before midnight. 
(Murrumbidgee Irrigator - Tuesday November 30, 1926).

Les Anderson, Joe G. Casserly, Jack Connell, Mick 'Ike' Cummins, Jack Daines, Ern Davy, Jack Fox, Foy, Jack Haines, Otto Kohn, George Longmore, Joe Longmore, D. Manning, Frank Manning, H. Manning, J. Moran, Wack O'Grady, F.W. "Bill" Owen, Jack Owen, Wilf O'Neill, Frank Polkinghorne, Allan Scott, Bob Stevenson, Charlie Stevenson, William Wade, Edgar 'Jack' Wood

Debuts: Jack Connell, Mick 'Ike' Cummins, Ern Davy, Jack Haines, Otto Kohn, George Longmore, D. Manning, Frank Manning, H. Manning, J. Moran, Wilf O'Neill. 
Final Game: Joe G. Casserly, Ern Davy, D. Manning, J. Moran, Wack O'Grady, Allan Scott, Edgar 'Jack' Wood

bottom of page