top of page

Grand Final - Sunday September 25, 2011
Riverina Football Netball League. Gate: $29,827
Venue: Narrandera Sportsground 2.30pm
Umpires: Paul McCormack, Cameron Warner and Gene Hodgins (RUA).
Ganmain-GGM ..... 4.4 .. 8.4 .. 14.10 ..14.13 (97)
Coolamon .............. 2.1 .. 4.3 .. 6.5 .. 6.7 (43)

GANMAIN-GRONG GRONG-MATONG: Andrew Roberts, Paul Hamblin, Kirk Hamblin; Damien Walsh, Christen McPherson, Luke Walsh; Henry Weddell, Luke Kohlhagen, Curtis Steele; Mitch Steele, Clint Taylor, Daniel Hitchens; Matt Rava, Jarrod Conway, Nathan McPherson; Jacob Olsson, Daniel Rankin, Mitch Carroll (c-c); Luke Walsh; Nick Carroll, Jesse Lander, David Karlberg, Scott Crozier 
COOLAMON ROVERS: Greg Aki, Mitch Robinson, Murray Stephenson; Marshal Macauley, Callan Litchfield, Ryan Chamberlain; Wade Archibald, Jamie Maddox, Luke Maloney; Ryan Maslin, Brett Nolte, Dom Nash; Michael Gibbons, Ben Cadzow, Ben Fixter; Ben Endyvean, Nick Pleming, Scott Easdown (c-c); Jacob McPherson, Brett Garrett, Zac Gibbons, Mitch Stephenson 
GGGM: N McPherson 2, J Conway 2, N Carroll 2, D Hitchens 2, M Steele, C Taylor, D Walsh, C Steele, D Rankin, H Weddell
Coolamon: M Gibbons 3, Z Gibbons 2, B Fixter
Ganmain-GGM: N McPherson, D Rankin, M Steele, M Rava, C McPherson, H Weddell, C Taylor
Coolamon: N Pleming, M Gibbons, C Litchfield, B Cadzow, B Nolte, Z Gibbons
A summary of match report, with thanks
Ganmain-Grong Grong-Matong etched its name into the record books with a historic four straight Riverina Football League premiership.

The Lions lived up to their billing red-hot favourites and proved far too strong for Coolamon to score a decisive 54-point grand final victory, 14.13 (97) to 6.7 (43) at Narrandera Sportsground. As it has done all season, GGGM put the foot to the floor during dominant second and third quarter displays as the Lions tore the game apart to put the result beyond doubt. Coolamon started strongly and led for stages of the opening quarter, but the Lions asserted its authority on the contest during the middle two quarters as they piled on 10 goals to four.

The win gave the Lions four straight RFL premierships, a record-equalling performance, with Turvey Park the only club to achieve the feat from 1987 to 1990. It also caps off back-to-back undefeated seasons from GGGM, and the Lions can now boast winning seven of the last eight RFL premierships. GGGM had too many winners all over the ground and very few stood out in what was another typical Lions' team performance. Matt Rava was awarded the Ron Hutchins Medal for best-on-ground after an impressive four-quarter performance rotating between forward and midfield. Rava had plenty of friends, with Mitch Steele another too shines in the win with arguably his finest performance of the year across half-forward. Nathan McPherson was sensational, especially early on, while Clint Taylor worked tirelessly all day and really came into the game in the second half. Luke Kohlhagen, Daniel Rankin and Mitch Carroll were all-good on-ball, while the half-back lone of Luke Walsh, Christen McPherson and Damien Walsh were outstanding. Nick Carroll made an impact up forward in what was believed to be his last game, while it proved a memorable 100th game milestone for Kirk Hamblin.

(The Area News - Monday September 26, 2011).

Reserves: Wagga Tigers 17.13 (115) def Mangoplah-CUE 7.5 (47)
Umpires: Duncan Potts, Paul Smith and Brian Robinson (RUA)
Under 17: Turvey Park 6.15 (51) def Leeton-Whitton 7.8 (50)
Umpires: Sam Wemyss, Greg Walsh and Rob Wilson (RUA)

Netball - A grade: Narrandera 57 d Collingullie-AK 35; B grade: Leeton-Whitton 55 d Turvey Park 47; C grade: Leeton-Whitton 42 d Coolamon 30; C2 grade: Ganmain-GGM 27 d Leeton-Whitton 24; Juniors U15's: Turvey Park 35 d Griffith 29

WHILE they may not have come away with the ultimate prize, Griffith Swans junior netball coach Sally Chambers said they still had plenty to be proud of in season 2011. The Swans lost a see-sawing Riverina Football and Netball grand final in Narrandera by six goals, as they pushed the more-fancied Turvey Park Bulldogs right until the final whistle. Griffith set the pace in the early going and lead by a handy buffer of four at the first break, before the inevitable fight-back from the Bulldogs started. Chambers said the fact her side were the outsiders heading into the game helped them jump the Bulldogs at the start. "We had it over the top of them at the end of the first quarter, but they managed to turn it around and do the same thing to us during the second quarter," Chambers said. "But from then we went goal-for-goal with them for the rest of the game, but it was a really good game and it really flowed well from one end to the other." Trailing 17-13 at the long break, Griffith could not gain a significant enough foothold in the game to pressure the Bulldogs and were still behind by five 27-22 at three-quarter time and try as they might they were simply not able to make a big enough inroad late in the game. Despite riding a wave of good form through the second half of the season, Chambers said the side was not overly disappointed with not claiming the title. "None of the girls were really upset from losing, because everyone put in a really good effort and gave it their all," she said. "I don't think there was as much pressure on them going in as underdogs." While most of the side stepped up to the level required in a grand final, shooters Danni Chambers and Tennille Scott vert accurate all game, and capitalised on their teammates good work earlier. While defenders Anna Smith and Hannah Linnegar worked very hard to try and create intercepts and tips would-be passes wide of their intended targets.

(The Area News - Monday September 26, 2011). 

bottom of page