top of page

 1970 SEASON 
Click on 1970 season to return

 GRIFFITH NOTES: "The Aussie Ruler" June 7, 1970 - No. 9 

By Swan: In the past Griffith has never been really happy at Matong but, possibly inspired by their Melbourne counterparts, the players turned on some of their best football for a 2-0 decision in the battle of the birds - Swans v Magpies.

Once again Sid Robins caught everyone's eye with his brilliant football but pressing him closely as our best was John Candusso, whose good performance as a rover should keep him away from the fullback spot for a long time.

Bruce Forbes, doing the sensible thing, was, nevertheless, disappointed at missing another game but he has been training solidly and should be fit for today's big game.

What a natural footballer is John Foley. In his first game of the season, he revealed all his old form to rate amongst our best. He certainly will be a big asset for the remainder of the season.

The Seconds had quite a battle on their hands before gaining a win. In a good team effort Ian Wade and George Duncan were well to the fore.

Notes No. 10 >>>

Match report: GRIFFITH vs COOLAMON

Coolamon broke an 11-year drought at the Griffith Ex-Servicemen's Oval, when, in a storming finish, it swamped Griffith to win a crowd pleasing game by 46 points.

The game between the second (Coolamon) and third (Griffith) teams was worthy of the participants high ranking, in fact for the first three quarters it provided possibly the best exhibition of the code seen at the Griffith oval.

The fourth quarter also had its good football but practically all of it came from the Coolamon team which score 7.3 (45) while keeping the Red and Whites scoreless.

Playing his 200th game with Griffith, Bill Tyndall led the Red and Whites on to the ground through a guard of honour formed by Griffith second and third graders.

The good crowd was treated to some outstanding football, highlighted by brilliant marking, good accurate kicking and fast teamwork.

To add interest to the game, if anymore was needed, was the closeness of the scores - Griffith leading by six points at quarter time, Coolamon by one point at half time and Griffith by one at the three quarter mark.

To everyone the scene appeared set for a tense, thrilling finish but the Coolamon team quickly revealed why it rates as a strong premiership contender when it lifted its already high standard.

Griffith had no answer to this super football and the Greens raced away to a most convincing win.

bottom of page