top of page

Click on 2004 season to return

Round 13 - Saturday July 10, 2004
Riverina Football League
Venue: Gumly Oval 2.10pm
Umpire: ------
Eastern Hawks ...... 3.3 .. 6.4 .. 8.7 .. 10.8 (68)
Griffith ..................... 7.5 .. 18.11 .. 24.14 .. 32.20 (212)

GRIFFITH: Damien Scott, Simon Spiers, Matt Bunn; Brett Lanyon, Ben Wade, Simon McClure; Jason Hampel, Shane Pound, Reece Hill; Michael Duncan, Jeff Mickan, Chris Conlan; Mathew Crack, Ashley Gardner, Jamie Bennett; David Curran, Matthew McDonald, Brett Owen; Phillip Rowston, Ben Ford, Kris Duncan
Eastern Hawks: P Evans 5, B Roberts 2, C Campbell, M Streatfield, L Povett
Griffith: M Duncan 7, D Curran 6, J Bennett 4, S Pound 3, S McClure 3, J Hampel 2, A Gardner 2, M Crack, Chris Conlan, P Rowston, B Owen, K Duncan
Eastern Hawks: K Vanderfeen, D Bromham, J Richards, L Pollett, P Evans, S Bromham
Griffith: J Mickan, M Duncan, S McClure, J Bennett, S Pound, B Wade
A summary of match report, with thanks
Griffith Swans coach Adrian Burns set his side a target of 30 goals going into Saturday's game against the Eastern Hawks. And not only did he match it, but they also exceeded it with a crushing 144-point win over the hapless Eastern Hawks, Burns happy with the improved accuracy from his side. "There was a fair bit of wind blowing across the ground so to kick as many as we did in those conditions was pretty good," Burns said. From the bounce the Swans never looked in trouble, which was always going to be the case against an Eastern Hawks side, which is struggling to field a team - the reserve graders backing up for first grade each week.

The Swans established a four-goal lead in the first quarter, the only term where the Hawks looked to be any chance.

From the second quarter onward, the ball rarely left the Swans attacking end, the side booting 11 goals in the second quarter and restricting the Hawks to just two to hold 85 points lead at the long break. Some new tactics in the defensive and forward lines were successfully brought into play and the Swans on-ballers worked hard all day.

Burns, who watched the game from the sideline as he continues to recover from slight injury, named ruckman Jeff Mickan as the standout on Saturday. Burns also praised the efforts of Mick Duncan and Simon McClure.  The Swans half of the scoreboard was constantly ticking over, let by Duncan, with seven goals, and Dave Curran, who booted six. Jamie Bennett got four and Shane Pound and McClure had three each.

The final two quarters saw the Swans lead continue to extend with six goals in the third quarter to the Hawks' three and another eight in the final quarter, eventually winning the game by a massive 144-point margin, their biggest win of the season so far.

The Swans reserve grade side was not so lucky, going down by one point. They led the entire game but were unable to hold off a final quarter comeback by the Hawks and struggled for accuracy. The under 18's side were forced to forfeit their game.

Only one game played in the netball with the Hawks forfeiting A grade, but the Swans claiming a 34-9 win in B grade.

(By Grace Uhr - The Area News, Monday July 12, 2004). 


OTHER MATCHES - SAT: Ganmain-GGM 30.9 (189) def Narrandera 10.10 (70); SUN: Coolamon 29.12 (190) def Leeton-Whitton 10.12 (72), Turvey Park 14.9 (93) def by Mangoplah-CUE 16.13 (109).

Reserves: Eastern Hawks 14.7 (91) def Griffith 12.18 (90)
Goals: B Hicken 5, M Smith 3, N Hetherington 2, L Testoni, W Tyndall
Best players: W Tyndall, M Smith, N Hetherington, L Testoni, N Creevy
Under 18: Eastern Hawks def Griffith on forfeit

bottom of page