top of page

Click on 2004 season to return

Qualifying Final - Saturday August 28, 2004
Riverina Football League. Gate: $6202
Venue: Narrandera Sportsground
Umpires: Brett McDonald, Pat O'Donoghue and Michael Davidson (RUA)
Griffith ........... 0.3 .. 6.4 .. 9.8 .. 12.9 (81)
Coolamon ..... 6.5 .. 8.9 .. 12.12 .. 15.16 (106)

GRIFFITH: Jason Hampel, Ben Wade, Damien Scott; Rodney Simpkin, Simon Spiers, Simon McClure; Ben Ford, Adrian Burns (c-c), Brett Owen; Rodney Duncan, Jeff Mickan, Matthew McDonald; Phillip Rowston, Ashley Gardner, Michael Duncan; David Curran, Shane Pound, Matt Bunn; Chris Conlan, Trent Bradley, Myles Bunn, Mathew Crack
COOLAMON ROVERS: Pat Edmunds, Sam Roberts, Leigh Drum; Brett Garrett, Francis Furner, Bryan Munro; Adam McKenzie, Luke Maloney, Alex Manley; Matt Bradley, Jamie Parr, Ryan Chamberlain; John Carroll, Brendan McKelvie, Matt Hard (c-c); Andrew McCaig, Anthony Breust, Nigel Scott; Jamie Maddox, Jamie Hard, Brendan McPherson, Brenton Cooke
Griffith: A Gardner 4, S Pound 2, M Duncan, M McDonald, J Mickan, P Rowston, D Curran, D Scott
Coolamon: B McKelvie 5, A Manley 2, N Scott 2, J Maddox 2, J Parr, B Cooke, M Hard, A McKenzie
Griffith: S Spiers, R Duncan, J Mickan, B Wade, A Gardner
Coolamon: N Scott, J Carroll, B McKelvie, M Hard, B Garrett, R Chamberlain

A summary of match report, with thanks
Inspired by the shock return of star forward Brendan McKelvie, Coolamon sent Griffith into free-fall in Saturday's qualifying final at Narrandera Sportsground. McKelvie made the decision to play on Friday night when his troublesome right ankle passed a vigorous fitness test. He kicked five goals in the Hoppers' 15.16 (106) to 12.9 (81) triumph.  
The stunning victory came just six days after Griffith upset minor premiers Ganmain-Grong Grong-Matong in the final competition round.

Blown away by Coolamon in the opening quarter, the Swans fought back in the second, but never came close. Griffith captain-coach Adrian Burns conceded the result had put a massive dint in the Swan's shot at back-to-back RFL titles.

"We were flat," he said. "We were ordinary, we just couldn't put it together. "It is very disappointing; we have to try and do it the hard way now."

McKelvie, who was in agony when he was taken to hospital against Turvey Park a fortnight ago after injuring his ankle, started the onslaught and sealed the victory with the Hoppers' first and last goals.

Slotting two majors in the first quarter, he led the way for Coolamon, which charged to a 41 to 3 advantage at quarter time.

The Swans marched back into the game to trail by 17 points at the main break, but they continued to be plagued by poor disposal and handling in the second half. With Nigel Scott providing Coolamon's drive out of the middle and ruckman John Carroll proving a tower of strength after taking over from Andrew McCaig, who was sidelined with a knee injury, Griffith never to bridge the gap.

Leading by 22 points at three quarter time, Coolamon shut the Swans out of the contest when Jamie Maddox and Adam McKenzie booted goals, before McKelvie's fifth major extended the margin to 42.

Fears for McKelvie's fitness arose when he came from the ground after booting his last goal, but he returned to play the final 10 minutes, as Griffith booted three majors to shrink the gap. (By Tim Barrow - The Area News, Monday August 30, 2004).

Reserves: Narrandera 18.8 (116) def Ganmain-GGM 7.16 (58)
Under 18: Mangoplah-CUE 10.9 (69) d Turvey Park 6.7 (43)

Netball - B grade: Coolamon 41 d Griffith 20; C grade: Leeton-Whitton 25 d Griffith 23.  


bottom of page